Sennoy lane, Orzhonikidze street.
Until up to second half of nineteenth century housing buildings in Ust-Kamenogorsk are limited by now Orzhonikidze and Ushanova streets. It was city’s outskirt, only barren laid behind was built up from Ulba river’s area. In 1899, political exiles Galimont, Mikhaelis, Fedorov, Kosturent initiated to make city’s park on the site of former market. Foresters and woodreeves took part in planting of trees. Works went on till 1903. Sets of poplar, hawthorn and apple tree were kindly furnished by military doctor Vistenius who had had good fruitery outside the town recognized as Pankratyevsky by citizens. Garden was slow to people, no care taken by inhabitants. Cattle often wandered in the garden, fireguards cut the grass for their horses. Someone of the visitants one day said garden contains of three haystacks.
City’s garden adjoined with sennoy bazaar situated at the corner of Ozhonikidze and Ushanova streets was famous for its brisk trade of hay, wood, cattle, corn, pain and coals. That’s why it was named Sennoy: there are not many dirty spots in city like this one. All year round wagons were loaded with hay, firing, hardware, kerosene, lime, cattle and fowl. Yet in that century, the father of future chairman of city’s Soviets Yakov Ushanov, entrepreneur Ushanov V.I. owned his large wayside inn at the corner of the street. His estate saw various back-street gatherings by Bolsheviks under colour of parties.
In 1937, Sennoy lane named after outstanding person Orzhonikidze and from then is called a street.
After semicentenary of being street it changed hugely. Wooden houses were replaced with apartment buildings for the first time ever. In 1959, steel ways had been railed and then trolley buses went on it. City gained access to bridge crossing Ulba via Orzhonikidze Street. Traffic area and pavements were asphalted as well. City’s garden had expanded and broadened and in 1946 it was given the name of Jambul. Broadside “Ubileyny” cinema was constructed in the place of sennoy bazaar. The beginning of the street changed its skin completely – bazaar and its chain stores spreading along residential quarters were replaced by city’s administration layed square and now, on its right side multistory apartment houses are being erected.